Wednesday, December 01, 2004

What's Dadology?

There are as many different kinds of Dads as there are children. Some are good, some are terrible. Most muddle through.

Dadology is a series of observations on things I’m learning as I do just that.

The entries are written a little after the events they describe, from what I hope is a position of objectivity; but recently enough to make them real.

One of the first things you learn when you become a Dad is that a lot of the time there are no right or wrong answers. Being a good Dad is an art, not a science. In spite of this, there are loads of parenting books out there, some even written specifically for Dads. I’ve skimmed a few of these, and read one or two. There’s wisdom in most of them, even the really bad patronising ones.

Dadology is not a 'how to' book. It’s just a record of what I’ve done and what worked for me. I hope it will be entertaining and occasionally helpful for other Dads.
To that end I’ll make a few suggestions as I go along, but my main suggestion is this:

take what works for you and disregard the rest

Good luck to Dads and Mums everywhere. Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
For the record, the names of my children are not called Jack and Nancy. But I do call the Mrs the Mrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home